Friday, May 14, 2010

Metacognitive Approach, by Carry Baker (2010 SDSU Graduate Student)

I really wanted my students to have skills that would generalize to their classroom and design a therapy plan that could be used for any age group and any language (e.g., inferencing is universal, building off each others ideas are universal, etc.)

The powerpoint contains my goals for myself for therapy that would be functional. I wanted my students to know what to do when they would be confronted with the same format in their classrooms. How do you discuss a book after your teacher has just read it with a group of students? I also always addressed meta-cognition, how do you know what you know? It took weeks for some of my students to know how to answer this, and some of them still don't, but the students who do know how to answer are great models.
I also wanted my students to be self-advocates; when they didn't know an answer I wanted them to seek clarification. This skill also took weeks and I surprisingly saw the most improvement from my 5th grade special day class group. I finally saw this skill begin to development after they were able to feel successful and comfortable making mistakes before being able to independently raise their hand and say, "I still don't get it." It saves a lot of time when they can just tell you the parts they don't understand.

The powerpoint also contains books with emotional hooks I chose that were not discussed in their classrooms that were received well by all my students. For students with difficulty with decoding, there are Jack & Julie stories as well as George and Martha stories, both are great for inferencing and developing other high level narrative skills without being overwhelmed with text. As well as the Jack & Julie story suggestion for those students (or ALL your students, which is how I felt) who have difficulty with Theory of Mind skills (e.g., taking the listener perspective). All syntax and semantic goals were embedded. I focused on words using the "Bring Words to LIfe" book model. Syntax was addressed when the students asked questions or made comments (e.g., Student: "He goed to the store." Me: "When someone already did something, it happened in the past and instead of 'goed' we say went", etc.) All of the books I shared were discussed like how we were shown at the language and literacy conference, the higher level thinking was the focus and we had discussions at natural important points of the story.

I really focused on the "Talking about the Text" rubric we received at the language and literacy conference. That is how my Master SLP had been doing language therapy before I got there, but the rubric offered a way to track progress (e.g., giving the groups a score after each session that they could relate to their state testing standards) as well as have a visual for the students to know what was expected of them. All of the groups were motivated to raise both of their scores, all of them wanted 4's in both categories. I would simply have a sticky note with their names and place it where they were.

I also had a data sheet with information as an addition to the reading rubric that would help track some more specific skills of the students. This challenged the students higher level thinking versus reporting facts from a story. It was just a way to track how the student's thinking was progressing. And the bottom portion contains a spot to list the students' names & their level of support (e.g., min-max) that was needed for that session.


Language Therapy Power Point
Talking About the Text
Reading Data Sheet

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.